Mick’s Spaghetti Sauce
Mick's Spaghetti Sauce
This recipe has morphed during the many years since I started making it in the mid-1970's. I'm about simplicity and diversity. It goes without saying that the ingredients bring the flavor and the character to this sauce and at the moment, I don't have any thoughts about "improving" it.
- 6 Carrots, sliced
- 3 Onions, chopped in 1/4" pieces
- 1 Sweet green pepper, chopped in 1/4" pieces
- 4 can (28 oz) Crushed tomatoes
- 1 jar (24 oz) Wegmans Diavalo Sauce
- 1 can (10 oz) Diced tomatoes with mild green chilies
- 2 lbs Mild Italian sausage
- 1/4 cup Honey
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed (optional)
- Add crushed tomato sauce, Wegman's Diavolo sauce and diced tomotoes to 8 quart pot. Heat on medium.
- Slice carrots and chop onions and green pepper
- Cut Italian sausage into 1" pieces
- Sauté onions (and, optionally, garlic) until slightly translucent
- Add honey and sliced carrots to onions and heat for 5 minutes
- Add chopped green pepper and continue heating until peppers and carrots are slightly tender
- Move vegetables to sauce pot
- Sauté sausage until medium rare
- Add sausage to pot and continue cooking all ingredients on low for 2 - 3 hours
- Serve with your choice of pasta
Recipe last updated: November 12th, 2020 at 11:32 am
I've made this sauce for many years and found that, unless the mild Italian sausage is omitted for a vegetarian version, additional seasoning is not needed, given the use of Wegman's Diavalo sauce and diced tomatoes with green chilies.
I typically use medium quality brand tomato products but find that higher quality brand sauces give a richer flavor.
Instead of diced tomatoes with green chilies, diced tomatoes with basil, garlic and oregano may be substituted or use one of each.
Try one or two Poblano peppers for an added zip, but be sure to remove the seeds or you'll really have a fiery sauce.
Amount Per Serving Calories 160Total Fat 11gSaturated Fat 4gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 8gCholesterol 22mgSodium 314mgCarbohydrates 9gFiber 1gSugar 6gProtein 8g